One victim was unconscious, and a firefighter who helped with the rescue had breathing trouble. Three other firefighters were examined.
Two men suffering from carbon monoxide exposure, one of whom had passed out, were rescued by Canton firefighters at a house on the township’s west side Tuesday afternoon.
The incident also sent to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital the four firefighters who had carried the unconscious victim out of the house’s basement, said Chris Stoecklein, the Canton Fire Department’s deputy director. One firefighter was having trouble breathing while the others were examined as a precaution, Stoecklein said.
The department was alerted to the emergency on Mornington Road, in the area of Beck and Cherry Hill, shortly before 1 p.m., a press release from the township said.
Firefighters found a man on the ground floor who told them there was a second man in the basement. Firefighters started down the stairs, Stoecklein said, but their gas meters registered dangerous levels of carbon monoxide and they had to fetch breathing apparatus before making the rescue.
Four firefighters carried out the unconscious man, who was transported immediately to the hospital, Stoecklein said. When one of the firefighters started having trouble breathing, he was taken to the hospital as well, as were the other three. The firefighter suffering breathing difficulty did not pass out, he said.
Three of the firefighters had been released from the hospital by 5 p.m. Tuesday, while the fourth was expected to be released later in the day, according to an update from the township. Stoecklein did not know the condition of the two men rescued.
The high carbon monoxide levels had apparently resulted from a concrete saw being operated in the basement without proper ventilation, Stoecklein said. The fumes were isolated to that one house.