Home GRASP GRASP/Korea South Korea culture minister apologises over 'blacklist'

South Korea culture minister apologises over 'blacklist'

99
0
SHARE

NewsHubSeoul – South Korea’s culture minister apologised Monday for the conservative government’s blacklisting of thousands of artists for their political beliefs, as critics said the attempt to muzzle critics was the worst for decades.
The list of over 9,000 artists in film, theatre, music and literature came to light late last year when a number of local media outlets published it.
Many on the list had voiced support for opposition parties, or criticised or satirised the administration of now-impeached President Park Geun-Hye or past army dictatorships.
The list reads like a Who’s Who of Seoul’s arts scene. It includes novelist Han Kang, winner of the 2016 Man Booker International Prize, and “Oldboy” film director Park Chan-Wook, who won the Grand Prix at Cannes in 2004.
“I… apologise over the pain and suffering caused to the artists banned from state support because of their political or ideological leanings,” Culture Minister Cho Yoon-Sun told a parliamentary hearing.
Cultural officials were ordered to stop offering state aid to the plays, films or other projects involving “left-leaning” artists on the list.
“I deeply apologise for letting the controversial blacklist cause so much pain and disappointment among the public,” she said.

Continue reading...