Home United States USA — Events These store-bought bone treats could kill your dog, FDA warns

These store-bought bone treats could kill your dog, FDA warns


About 15 dogs have died.
The U. S. Food and Drug Administration is warning dog owners about store-bought “bone treats,” saying they have led to multiple reports of pet illnesses and even death.
In a consumer update, the FDA said they have received nearly 70 reports of pet illnesses related to “bone treats.” The illnesses reported by owners and veterinarians include:
More: After 7 dogs euthanized, no-kill shelter director fired in Indiana
More: Blind puppy to be trained as therapy service dog
“Bone treats” differ from actual butcher-type bones. They are processed and packaged for sale as dog treats, according to the warning. The treats may be dried through baking or smoking and may contain preservatives, seasoning and smoke flavor. Treats listed in illness reports included “Ham Bones,” “Pork Femur Bones,” “Rib Bones” and “Smokey Knuckle Bones.”
“Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet,” Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) at the FDA said in a statement.
The FDA also received reports that included a description of moldy and splintering “bone treats.”
Pet owners are reminded to consult with veterinarians to discuss good treat options and to keep brittle chicken and turkey bones away from dogs to avoid a choking hazard.
Follow basset hound owner Joe Tamborello on Twitter: @joetamborello

Continue reading...