Home United States USA — Sport US, UK launch strikes against Houthi targets in Yemen

US, UK launch strikes against Houthi targets in Yemen

257
0
SHARE

Earlier on Thursday, the Iran-backed rebels had warned that any attack by the United States on them will not go without a response.
The United States and the United Kingdom on Thursday launched strikes at several sites linked to the Houthi rebels in Yemen, the White House said.
“These strikes are in direct response to unprecedented Houthi attacks against international maritime vessels in the Red Sea – including the use of anti-ship ballistic missiles for the first time in history,” a statement by the United States administration said.
A press release by the United Kingdom’s defence ministry said early indications suggest that “the Houthis’ ability to threaten merchant shipping has taken a blow” because of the strikes.
Since November, the Houthi movement, a Yemen-based military organisation backed by Iran, has attacked at least 27 ships in the Red Sea. The crucial international maritime route between Europe and Asia – through the Red Sea and the Suez Canal – accounts for nearly 15% of the world’s shipping traffic.
The Houthis have stated that their attacks are in response to Israel’s war on Gaza, which has killed more than 23,000 Palestinians since October 7.
Most recently, the US and the British naval forces had intercepted 21 drones and missiles fired by the rebel group on January 9 in the southern Red Sea, reported Reuters.

Continue reading...