The Warren County woman who accused Sen. Al Franken of groping her spoke after his resignation Thursday.
Sen. Al Franken announced he would resign Thursday.
In doing so, he disputed some of the allegations of inappropriate sexual advances against him. Speaking on the Senate floor, he also took shots at President Donald Trump and Senate candidate Roy Moore.
The Warren County woman who accused Franken of groping her during a photo op in 2003 previously told The Enquirer she wasn’t calling on him to resign.
But his speech still didn’t sit well with her.
Stephanie Kemplin was “appalled” by the speech, she said on MSNBC Thursday afternoon.
“I’m so sad and appalled at his lack of response and him owning up to what he did,” Kemplin said.
“I feel that he just keeps passing the buck and making it out to be something that we took his behavior the wrong way or we misconstrued something or we just flat out lied about what happened to us.”
Kemplin is one of at least eight women to make accusations of inappropriate touching against Franken.
The Senator has apologized for some of his behavior but released a statement after Kemplin’s accusations about taking “thousands of photos” during his career.
“He has never intentionally engaged in this kind of conduct,” the statement said.
On Thursday, he repeated that sentiment.
“It gave some people the false impression I was admitting to doing things that in fact I haven’t done,” Franken said, insisting “some of the allegations against me simply are not true.”
Kemplin was asked on TV about whether Franken’s pending resignation was justice.
“Justice to me would be him owning up to what he did,” Kemplin said on MSNBC.
After CNN broke her story last week, Kemplin spent the day evading reporters by hiding in her bed under the covers. She even sent a friend to pick up her daughter from school.
“It sounds stupid, but I was not prepared for this,” she told The Enquirer last week.
Franken was the second member of Congress to announce his resignation this week after sexual harassment allegations.
A link has been posted to your Facebook feed.
Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., first elected to the House in 1964, stepped down Tuesday after several women accused him of harassment. Conyers has denied any misbehavior and said he was being denied due process.
Here is what Franken had to say about Trump:
“I, of all people, am aware that there is some irony in the fact that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office and a man who has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party.”
Franken was first elected to the Senate in 2008. He said he would resign over the next several weeks.