Attorneys said he would plead guilty if death penalty was not pursued
Prosecutors announced Tuesday they will seek the death penalty against the suspected gunman who killed 17 students and instructors at a South Florida high school last month, undermining a strategy from defense attorneys to avoid a trial that is certain to receive national attention.
Broward County State Atty. Michael Satz filed the formal notice to seek the death penalty against Nikolas Cruz, who has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder and is being held without bond. Cruz, 19, is scheduled for formal arraignment Wednesday on a 34-count indictment, which includes the murder and attempted murder charges.
Cruz’s attorneys have said in recent weeks he would plead guilty if the death penalty was not pursued.